Monday, February 15, 2010
Defenselessness, Not My Thing
When I was eight, I made a list for my life. It was not however, a list of things I would like to experience or accomplish. It was not a list of material things I would like to someday posses. In fact, it was not a list of things I wanted to happen at all, but a list of things I wanted to prevent from happening. It was a list of promises and vows I made for myself that I swore I would uphold until the day I am put six feet under. You see, as an eight year old, I wanted to protect myself from any unnecessary emotional harm that another human could inflict upon me, like heartbreak or stress. I wanted to make perfectly certain that I would never know what it was like to fall in love or experience the true bliss for things that could so easily be taken away. So, in order to accomplish my desired emotional seclusion, I made this list to essentially shield myself from the effects other may have on my body, mind or soul. Nevertheless, I am now a seventeen year old English student assigned with the task to write a paragraph about any super power I desire. As it turns out, my views on love and life have not altered over the past nine years. For these reasons, the super power I would choose to obtain while living in this fantasy world is the ability to blockade my body, mind, and soul from the outcome of others around me. With this supernatural ability, every single promise I made would be accessible. I would never have to let my eight year old self down because I would be able to lock my self away from other human emotions and consequences. When I was eight, I wrote a list for my life. One thing I never expected was that someday my personal and private list would be the inspiration for a paragraph in English twelve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment